Search

Thor's Mountain Whetstone

Where in the Kingdom Are Their Excellencies?

Want to know where to find their Excellencies? Well, look no further; they’ve created this nifty baronial progress spreadsheet.

Find them here!

Advertisements
Featured post

Welcome!

Welcome to the newsletter for the Barony of Thor’s Mountain in the Kingdom of Meridies. Here you will find meeting minutes, officer reports, our regnum, and articles from our members.

Do you have something that you would like to have featured in our newsletter? Please reach out to us by email at chronicler@thorsmountain.org!

This is a recognized website for the Barony of Thor’s Mountain of the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc. Please contact the webminister at webminister@thorsmountain.org with any concerns.

Click here for the further copyright and disclaimer information.

Featured post

November Business Meeting Minutes

Meeting minutes taken by Lady Klara bint Da’ud al-sayrajani. Thank you!

 

Coronets – No report

 

A and S – Fill out the A and S forms. Last month’s survey’s proved that Tuesdays are the most convenient for everyone and once a month classes seem to work best. Classes should begin in January.

 

Senechal: Curia is coming up. Get your topics in. We will be in the Animal sciences building on January 5th. Do you research if you have a money request. It will make things go much easier.

 

Reeve According to the bank, we have $17,636.38 in the account.  Due to outstanding checks, we have $17,018.23 at our disposal.

 

Silver Hammer turned a profit of $359.64.  This decrease from previous years appears to be almost exclusively because we had 35-45 fewer adult attendees.

 

We have reserved Big Ridge for SH 2020, Oct 30-Nov 1; the site fee was $466.

 

MOC – New reports require exact number of children with ages to send to children. The Michelangelo painting class will be delayed til next year. Also new requirement after events to get up with troll and compare number of children in attendance vs. children in classes.

 

Knight Marshal – New people in attendance for both heavy and rapier and no injuries. Working on substitute marshalls for the next couple weeks.

 

Live Weapons – Good turnout at Silver Hammer. Since this weekend is up against crown, we are going to cancel. Looking to have a practice the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

 

Provost – Looking for classes. There is now an online form to request your RUM transcript. There is also a self- reporting form available.

 

Herald – See online for Silver Hammer Court report. A scribal night is being scheduled for later this month.

 

Chronicler – Warrant is in process. October Whetstone will be out soon. She needs a deputy.

 

Social Media – Waiting on password reset to start up Instagram account.

 

Web Minister – The old site is going away. It will no longer be updated. Working on switching website over to Kingdom hosting. We are going to a wordpress maintained site and are starting completely over. If you have something you want added to the calendar, you need to email webminister@thorsmountain.org

 

Holly and Ivy – Everything is going smooth. Anyone who wants to teach a class needs to contact her excellency. There will be pre-cooking going on in December. If you are interested in learning to make mincemeat, contact Naz. Your baron wants you to fight in Theigns Tourney! They’ve been in their position for three years. Santa Jeff will be in attendance.

 

Black Gryphon – Budget is almost finished. If you want to teach a class fill out the form Rose posted to the Facebook group. There are already seven classes on deck. The website may be slow in going up because of the website change over. Waylon is looking for a source for eel, if anyone knows of one. He is also looking for wood patterned melamine bowls.

 

Discussion about banners in trailer.

 

See the calendar here: http://www.thorsmountain.org/calendar.php

 

If anyone is interested in doing court heraldry on a kingdom level, please contact Naz.

 

Is anyone interested in doing a garb day at Martha’s before the end of the year?  Saturday the 24th at noon was decided upon.

Silver Hammer Feast Recipes: First Remove

The recipes have been provided by Lady Klara bint Da’ud al-sayrajani.

 

The recipes are for one table serving (or eight people).

 

Catalonian Stuffed Onions

 

8 onions
1 lb chicken
½ lb bacon
1 tbs cinnamon
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp cloves
1 tbs salt
½ c. chicken broth

 

Poach chicken until cooked through. Fry bacon until crisp. Preheat oven to 425. Core onions, reserving top and ½ of the onion interior. Shred chicken and toss with bacon, reserved onion interior, broth and spices. Stuff chicken/bacon mixture into onion cavity. Replace onion tops and wrap onion in foil. Bake for 45 minutes.

 

Llesques de Formatge

 

½ lb mozzarella
1 tbs butter
1 tbs yeast
2 eggs
½ c water
1 c flour (pref. Whole wheat)

 

Slice cheese into 8 thick slices. Proof yeast in water. Add yeast/water to mixing bowl with flour and eggs. Coat cheese slices in batter and freeze. Package. When time to reheat. Melt Butter. Fry llesques on all sides until batter is completely cooked.

 

Orange and Pomegranate Salad with Agras Mestrejat

 

2 oranges
½ a pomegranate
2 red plums
⅛ c. balsamic vinegar
¼ c. orange juice
1 tsp sugar

 

Section oranges and remove arils from pomegranate. Slice plums and cook with balsamic, juice, and sugar. When well combined, cool, and blend with immersion blender. Serve sauce over top of the oranges and pomegranate arils.

 

Ametllat

 

1 lb goat
1 15.5 can chickpeas
½ bundle of parsley
64 oz broth
⅓ c. balsamic vinegar

 

Dice goat small and brown in stockpot. Pour in broth and balsamic and simmer until goat is tender. Add chickpeas, simmer until those are tender. While those simmer together finely chop parsley. Add to soup and simmer five more minutes.

 

Silver Hammer Court Report

Court Heralded by Waylan de Fabre

Vice Regal Court of Barthelemy and Oda

Nigel the Wolf – Order of the Cygnet
Ragnarr Arngeirsson – Order of the Broken Bow

Court of Baron William and Baroness Catherine

Sir Wolfgang von Wustenberg – Silver Hammer (Armored Combat)
THL Piers Simmons – Silver Hammer (Rapier)
THL Mihalfy Miklos – Silver Hammer (Archery)
Titus Aurelius – Ram’s Horn for the Arts
Aetheria Meritima – Ram’s Horn for the Arts
Cecilia Jacobs – Ram’s Horn for Service
Sarena Amansadora – Ram’s Horn for Artes Militis
Rørik mac Lughdach – Ram’s Horn for Artes Militis
Jacques de la Rose – Ram’s Horn for Artes Militis
Sigmarr Arngeirsson – Ram’s Horn for Artes Militis
Caoilfionn inghean Caomhánach – Vinar Thors
William Brewer and Julianna Harper – Vinar Thors
Castellana de Luna – Order of the Sable Gryphon
Jayne Helen of Hope – Silver Swan of Jehane
Feargus Fletcher – Order of the Silver Heart
Cáelán mac Oduinn – Order of the Silver Heart

October Business Meeting Minutes

Baron & Baroness – We have a pretty picture. [Ooooooo]. Please make sure that, when art is contributed, the artist is noted on the back.

Bring a cooler to Silver Hammer, court may be long. We may have a bathroom break in the middle.

Senechal – I don’t actually have anything. I’ve been in Iceland….

Reeve – We have $18,685.16 in the bank account. After uncleared checks (two of which are for Holly & Ivy), we have $18,214.99.

We would like to get the wheels moving to purchase a PO box for the barony. For 12 months, an extra small box is $70. A small box is $102. May I have a motion? Baron supports convenient box for the Reeve. Liz makes a motion that we get the more convenient box at $30 additional per year (with keys being in possession of the senechal and reeve). Murienn seconds. Motion carries.

Chatelaine & Gold Key – I have nothing. I am doing a newcomer’s/welcome tent space at Silver Hammer.

Consul – We had a demo at the Clayton-Bradley Academy. Much fun and talking were had. I don’t think that we need Tristram to be in charge of heavy fighting again. They will be looking forward to us returning again.

Knight Marshal – We are going to be changing over. Rorik will be stepping up as Knight Marshal. I will be running Silver Hammer, but he will be taking over that position.

Rapier Marshal – Nobody has died! [Despite South Down’s best effort!] [That is someone in Vulpine Reach’s report, not mine!]

Live Weapons Marshal – Let’s talk about arrows. We talked about this last month. We need some. Our arrows are getting lost or having their things come off. I would like to request to use some of the marshal’s budge to replenish our arrow supply. Liz makes a motion that we give her $100 to spend on the barony’s archery supplies. Osric seconds it. Motion carries.

Equestrian Marshal – Not present.

Arts & Sciences and Dance – We had a class last month, Basic Costuming. Waylan is my deputy for A&S. He is going to be taking over organizing and setting up classes. If you are interested in teaching a class or have something that you would be interested in seeing taught, talk to Waylan. He has posted a survey to see what people would be interested in seeing class-wise.(Class Survey here).

 

Please submit your A&S report for the month here: Monthly A&S Report Form.

 

Because we are moving, we have to do something with the May Pole. It can probably go into our storage unit, but we cannot guarantee that we would have ready access to it. Liz has volunteered to store it in the attic of their garage. Carol has a second garage that could also be used.

The bigger issue is the SCA signs. We put them out for the last Silver Hammer. We were told that they were not going back into the trailer. Decision has been made that those signs are going back into the trailer.

 

Have any classes from Gulf Wars or other events or class nights not listed on your RUM transcript? You can self-report your classes using the form found here: Class Report Form.

Student Group – As student group president, we got through the student engagement fair. We have had a couple of people sign up. A couple of people have contacted me about getting involved. I’ve given them the information about what, when, and where.

I have talked to a couple of people about a way that we could potentially get students involved. We could potentially sponsor a student to come to an event. When I was an undergrad, I couldn’t go to as many events due to cost. Students are poor. If this is something that the barony wants to do…If someone is willing to run with that, step forward. Naz volunteered! [Yay!]

I really want us to have more of a student group. It is currently me and Emilee that are the active students in the student group. We don’t really have any undergraduates that are active, come out, and do stuff. There exists, at the University, sort of training sessions for student organizations to learn how to be more effective at recruitment. If that is something that we are interested in trying to recruit more, I would be happy to set up this training session and go to it. I would like other members of the barony to be participate in this so that it is just me. I am not going to be able to do the stuff that I do for the student group forever. I want students that the student group can be handed over to. Thoughts? Advice? Comments?

Discussion tends towards it being a good idea.

Provost

 

Have any classes from Gulf Wars or other events or class nights not listed on your RUM transcript? You can self-report your classes using the form found here: Class Report Form.

Herald – Not much with herald’s office this month. Report has been sent. Devices and badges discussed last month haven’t been sent out yet. Still looking for a deputy. I will probably need to make an announcement at Silver Hammer as we get a wider audience there at biz meet. I have talked to a number of people, and there tends to be some aspect of the job that they just don’t want to do. And that is okay. But, at the end of the day, it is important to pass off these offices so that they aren’t on the same person forever. If anyone is interested in doing heraldy things, please contact me.

Bagatelle – Cords! If you have signed up to do cords and have them today, I can take them today. From my understanding, it is pretty important that these cords be present at Silver Hammer. If you are unable to do so, please send a message that you aren’t able to make them so that we can make them ourselves.

Parchment

Chronicler – I need a deputy that would be able to attend business meetings and either take notes or record the meeting so that I can transcribe the meeting minutes. I have had a shift in my mundane life that has resulted in me being unable to attend business meetings for the next year or so. (It is a good shift, but it does mean that I am not available in the evenings!)

Please let me know if you would be able to accept a position as my deputy. I would appreciate it very much.

I have also started the process of being warranted.

Also, I need a deputy!

Social Media – The Lucys and I are setting up a meeting this month to get them caught up on all things social media with the plan to pass that off to them at the end of the year.

Webminister – We need to purchase a webhosting service and a domain. This is not optional. It is $68/year with WordPress for more basic. The more amount is $168/per year for more control and customization. Miklos states that there may need to be additional costs and to allocate $150 to cover any and all costs. Liz made that motion. Murienn seconded. Motion carries.

Subdomain to be created for the canton.

If you have something that needs to be added to the calendar, please email the webminister as she is going to be unable to attend meetings for the foreseeable future due to classes. Also double check your information on the website.

Minister of Children – We still need volunteers for Silver Hammer for running the morning session. We need bodies.

My background check has to be renewed in March.

Events –

Silver Hammer –

It is shaking up to be okay. Tristram will not be able to attend. Sigard is stepping up to cover rapier. Besides that, we still need volunteers for children activities. We may need pottycrat still. Gellis, Catherine, and Jyne state that they will help cover that. More troll people is always better. Volunteer for troll!

Feast menu is being pre-cooked [and was covered quickly, but I couldn’t type that fast!] this Sunday, next Sunday, and the Friday before the event. On-site kitchen volunteers are greatly appreciated.

Hammers are going to happen soon.

Site visit will be set up the week before. I will need to figure out exactly when I should order the port-a-potties. Advised to order it now.

There will be a Bard of Silver Hammer competition. The them is love.

Breakfast menu was also discovered. French toast and porridge bar on Saturday. Sunday will be some of the same things. Almond tart on Sunday.

Holly & Ivy –

Yes, we are having it. We have a menu. It is Elizabethan English. We are interested in having performances from Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night. So let us know if you are interested in that.

If you fight, your barony needs you to turn out for the theigns’ tourneys at Holly & Ivy!

Black Gryphon –

If you want to teach a class, contact April (Rose)! A Japanese tract would be great!

Calendar

October:

  • Tuesday, the 2nd: Business Meeting at 7pm at UT Agricultural Campus in Room 260
  • Wednesday, the 3rd: Fighter Practice at 6pm at West Side Family YMCA
  • Saturday, the 6th: Canton Demo
  • Sunday, the 7h: Fighter Practice at 1pm at West Hill Park/John Bynon Park
  • Wednesday, the 10th: Fighter Practice at 6pm at West Side Family YMCA
  • Sunday, the 14th: Fighter Practice at 1pm at West Hill Park/John Bynon Park
  • Monday, the 15th: Troll class at Miklos’s house at 7pm
  • Wednesday, the 17th: Fighter Practice at 6pm at West Side Family YMCA
  • Sunday, the 21st: Fighter Practice at 1pm at West Hill Park/John Bynon Park
  • Friday, the 26th, through Sunday, the 28th: Silver Hammer

November:

  • Sunday, the 4h: Fighter Practice at 1pm at West Hill Park/John Bynon Park
  • Tuesday, the 6th: Business Meeting at 7pm at UT Agricultural Campus in Room 260
  • Wednesday, the 7th: Fighter Practice at 6pm at West Side Family YMCA
  • Friday, the 9th: Whatnot Night
  • Sunday, the 11h: Fighter Practice at 1pm at West Hill Park/John Bynon Park; Archery Practice at 1:30pm Location to be determined
  • Wednesday, the 14th: Fighter Practice at 6pm at West Side Family YMCA
  • Sunday, the 18th: Fighter Practice at 1pm at West Hill Park/John Bynon Park
  • Sunday, the 25th: Archery Practice at 1:30pm Location to be determined
  • Wednesday, the 28th: Fighter Practice at 6pm at West Side Family YMCA

September 2018 Business Meeting Minutes

Baron & Baroness – We have a thing. As I am sure that you are aware, in the middle of Pennsic, most of the SCA across the country and world blew up on a number of sensitive and important topics. We feel that it would behoove us to make a public statement. When I cam to Thor’s Mountain, it was a place that welcomed pretty much everyone. Our predecessor worked to make everyone feel welcome. With that in mind, we just want to make a public declaration that we support the equality for all. We want everyone of all races, gender, sexuality, etc. to be welcome here.Don’t be a jerk. We reject all forms of intolerance and bigotry. Everyone should feel safe here. Anyone that does not feel safe in our domain, come and speak to us. [This is paraphrased as it was read off quickly.]

Senechal – All I have to say is, ditto. If you do have any concerns regarding harassment, diversity, inclusiveness, bullying, you are ALWAYS welcome to give me a call.

B&B – Corporate has a policy on this now.

Senechal – I will be out of the country the last two weeks of this month.

Reeve – $18,731.11 according to BB&T. Due to a few outstanding checks, we have $18,214.99. If you have a check for us that you have not cashed, please do so. If you are not sure, come see me, and I can let you know if you are on my list.

Chatelaine & Gold Key – There will be a newcomers’ nook at Silver Hammer! We will broadcast that it is a safe place for newcomers to come hang out.

Consul – We have a demo coming up at Clayton-Bradley on the 13th from 10:30am to 11:30am. They have invited people that wish to stay for lunch to join for the medieval feast. If you can come about thirty minutes early, please do so. The students put together displays, and it is really nice and fun to check them out. Spend time with the kiddos!

Knight Marshal – Overall, practices have happened. No injuries or deaths. Yay! The combat archery demonstration went well. No one was shot in the ankle. We did receive notice from Gellis that she had received notice that our marshallate has been revoked due to non-reporting. There is an issue with the automated reporting system. He has our current report. We are NOT revoked. We are good to go.

We had an equestrian practice.Nobody died.

Rapier Marshal – Combined with Knight Marshal report.

Live Weapons Marshal – We have been having practices. They are happening. They are rotating between our three locations. Hopefully one of them is near you! If you have loaner arrows, I need them back. We probably need to make or buy more loaner arrows.

I do need someone to run the practice this weekend at White Pine as I have another commitment. If you are a marshal and feel like you can do that thing, I would appreciate it if you would do that thing.

Equestrian Marshal – Combined with Knight Marshal report.

Arts & Sciences and Dance – Waylan is the new deputy! Yay! He is taking over scheduling the A&S classes.

Please submit your A&S report for the month here: Monthly A&S Report Form.

Have any classes from Gulf Wars or other events or class nights not listed on your RUM transcript? You can self-report your classes using the form found here: Class Report Form.

UT Student Group – No report.

Provost

 

Have any classes from Gulf Wars or other events or class nights not listed on your RUM transcript? You can self-report your classes using the form found here: Class Report Form.

Herald – Herald things! I am passing around badges that we are attempting to register for awards that do not have them. There are a couple of modifications that I had to make. The Silver Heart pendants that we give out are knotwork. Knotwork does not exist in heraldry. I had to do just a heart. I had to add to it as someone has just a silver heart registered. I added a gold chain. These badges are fieldless, which means that when you display this award, you can put it on any background color that you want.

The Companion of the Daughters of Aduin as the name is not period. As of now, we are not registering order names. To be more accurate, we would need to change the “Aduin”. “Aduin” is not period. Not Norse. Etc. Iðunn is correct. To register this, it would have to be Iðunndottir, which is a last name and is not allowed. We can register “Order of Iðunn” and call those that receive this award “The Daughters of Iðunn”. When we revisit this in a few months, we can see about registering “Order of Iðunn”.

The Ram’s Horns have been historically put on a white background (white on white), which doesn’t work. But the badge is fieldess so this works.

[With bonus heraldry lesson!]

Bagatelle – If anyone signed up to cords and are unable to finish the by next biz meet, let me know.

Parchment – No report!

Chronicler – Hey, I need a deputy!

Social Media – We’re good!

Webminister – If you have something that needs to be added to the calendar, please email the webminister as she is going to be unable to attend meetings for the foreseeable future due to classes. Also double check your information on the website.

Minister of Children – No report. We are going to have changing how we do youth activities going forward. We will have one session per event, either morning or afternoon. No sit down classes as that is where our children are leaning to. Starting with Silver Hammer, we are doing a youth ground equestrian class. Next year is to be determined.

Events –

 

Silver Hammer –

  • Brewing competition and Bard of Silver Hammer – Do those things! Theme for Bard of Silver Hammer is Love! Love is all you need!
  • All of our staff is ready, with exception of potty crat. If you are interested, let me (Caelan) know!
  • The event is shaping up to be pretty good. Feast menu should be just about finalized.
  • Some of our advertisement blasts are ready to start going out.
  • We are going to be in the Pop Chiv for October.
  • There will be three Silver Hammer tourneys this year: heavy, rapier, and archery.
  • There will be a nice thrown weapons competition featuring severed heads!
  • Also, we haven’t announced this yet. You are the first to know! Master William Brewer had purchased one of Allesaundra’s bows. He is bringing it to Silver Hammer and using it as the prize!

Holly & Ivy –

  • We are having one. It will be great! By the will of the coronet, we will be having the baronial championships at Holly & Ivy. There is a change. If you are currently one of the champions, you cannot win this time around.
  • Jyne for War Lord!
  • If you want to teach a class, this is a very laid back day. Think about it!
  • Bird class!
  • There is a private group for those that are interested in making things to distribute to the children.
  • Feast menu at next biz meet!

Black Gryphon –

  • It is on track. If you have classes, get with April (Rose).
  • Feast is fine. I need A LOT of rice cookers.

SHENANIGANS!

Calendar

September:

  • Tuesday, the 4th: Business Meeting at 7pm at UT Agricultural Campus in Room 260
  • Wednesday, the 5th: Fighter Practice at 6pm at West Side Family YMCA
  • Sunday, the 9th: Fighter Practice at 1pm at West Hill Park/John Bynon Park; Archery Practice at 1:30pm (White Pine location)
  • Tuesday, the 11th: Basic Costuming (Location to be announced)
  • Wednesday, the 12th: Fighter Practice at 6pm at West Side Family YMCA
  • Thursday, the 13th: Clayton-Bradley Demo at 10:30am to 11:30am
  • Sunday, the 16th: Fighter Practice at 1pm at West Hill Park/John Bynon Park
  • Wednesday, the 19th: Fighter Practice at 6pm at West Side Family YMCA
  • Friday, the 21st, through Sunday, the 23rd: Tournament of the Foxes
  • Wednesday, the 26th: Fighter Practice at 6pm at West Side Family YMCA
  • Friday, the 28th, through Sunday, the 30th: Meridian Grand Tournament

October:

  • Tuesday, the 2nd: Business Meeting at 7pm at UT Agricultural Campus in Room 260
  • Wednesday, the 3rd: Fighter Practice at 6pm at West Side Family YMCA
  • Sunday, the 7h: Fighter Practice at 1pm at West Hill Park/John Bynon Park
  • Wednesday, the 10th: Fighter Practice at 6pm at West Side Family YMCA
  • Sunday, the 14th: Fighter Practice at 1pm at West Hill Park/John Bynon Park
  • Wednesday, the 17th: Fighter Practice at 6pm at West Side Family YMCA
  • Sunday, the 21st: Fighter Practice at 1pm at West Hill Park/John Bynon Park
  • Wednesday, the 24th: Fighter Practice at 6pm at West Side Family YMCA
  • Friday, the 26th, through Sunday, the 28th: Silver Hammer

August 2018 Business Meeting Minutes

Baron & Baroness – Not present. Off enjoying Pennsic shenanigans.

Senechal – Doesn’t have a lot. Just a reminder that if you are sending a report to kingdom, please send me a copy.

Reeve – Our balance according to the bank statement is $18,856.51. Due to uncashed checks, we have available $18,307.39. PayPal for Silver Hammer is in progress. Form is being sent to kingdom.

Chatelaine & Gold Key – Not a lot right now. The newcomer’s design is on a large thing so that it can be made into a banner. Changes are coming due to a kingdom chatelaine change over. There is going to be a gold key challenge as an attempt to get everyone’s gold key streamlined with a variety of sizes. There will be a nifty thing for the group that does the best.

Sale, hopefully, planned for Holly & Ivy to get rid of our “discard” gold key.

Consul – September 13th, Clayton-Bradley has requested that we come and do a demo. If you haven’t gone to a demo there before, I recommend that you do. It is a wonderful, awesome thing. The kids create personas and do all types of A&S things. I need fighters and people willing to dance. Our part starts at about 10:30 and goes to about 11:30.

Knight Marshal – We have had practice. No injuries. Yay! Joint practice is planned for this Sunday, the 12th, from 9am to 5pm. It will be archery, equestrian, and fighting. If it rains out, we can always do something in the barn or in the house.

Rapier Marshal – No report.

Live Weapons Marshal – Good turn out for the White Pine practice. Yay! Next practice is at the joint practice this Sunday. Calendar will be updated with locations.

Equestrian Marshal – No additional information to add.

Arts & Sciences and Dance – File out your A&S report. Working with the webminister on adding a link updated monthly on the baronial site.

Two classes this month:

  1. Dance class on the 14th at the UT Conference Center. Different room than we have met in previously. Please be quiet and courteous.
  2. Intermediate woodworking will be taught on the 28th.

More classes to come in September. They will be announced.

I am looking for a deputy to take over the A&S office. I am reaching the point to where I cannot handle multiple hats at the moment. If you would like to be my replacement deputy, please let me know!

Please submit your A&S report for the month here: Monthly A&S Report Form.

Have any classes from Gulf Wars or other events or class nights not listed on your RUM transcript? You can self-report your classes using the form found here: Class Report Form.

UT Student Group – UT is having their annual student engagement fair on the 24th from 7pm – 9:30pm, I think. Fighters, A&S display, and other volunteers would be great. I think it would be a good idea for us to bring some kind of medieval finger food to share with those that would be interested. Locations have been first come, first serve, historically.

Also, I have to go to a seminar about harassment and all kinds of stuff since I am the president.

Provost – I just want to say thank you to April for all of the work that you did for getting us ready for RUM. We had several people that graduated with degrees. We will have a lot of people next year. James will be working on our stuff after he finishes RUM data entry.

Have any classes from Gulf Wars or other events or class nights not listed on your RUM transcript? You can self-report your classes using the form found here: Class Report Form.

Herald – No significant report. I submitted a device this month. (I am on my third device.) Still need a deputy that is willing to take over the job at some point.

Bagatelle – A big, huge thank you for everyone that jumped onto the post that I put out calling for cords. If you are interested in creating cords for awards, please let me know. I am still looking for bids for anyone that is interested in making awards such as Daughter of Aduin, etc.

Parchment – No report.

Chronicler – I am giving up my post to my lovely deputy as of probably next month. She will be taking over then.

I have received an email requesting our information be updated with the Knox County Library. I have directed that to the senechal.

Social Media – No report.

Webminister – Event page for Silver Hammer is live. Waiting for the Facebook event page to be live before sending it to the senechal to send to kingdom.

Minister of Children – No report.

Events –

Silver Hammer – Planning is coming along fine. I have done my first of many check ins. Everyone seems to be pretty much on the ball. PayPal is being resolved as Danielle and Mao need to get registered/whatever for that. Cost of silver for the hammers wasn’t in the budget so that adjustment has had to be made. Scheduling a site visit coming up. It is chugging along.

Troll volunteers are needed to step in for an hour or two here and there. More volunteers make it easier. No one would have to be stuck there all day, if we have quite a few volunteers.

If you don’t know how to do troll, we can set up a troll class!

Holly & Ivy – No report.

Black Gryphon – It is going to be a thing. Bryan is the feastcrat. Richard and I (Emilee) are going to autocrat. April is our classcrat.

A google form is ready to go for those interested in signing up to teach a class at Black Gryphon.

Other –

The canton has been invited to host a demo on the 6th of October at the Heritage Festival in Union County. If you can help out, let Ragnarr know.

Rorik was given a whole box of documents that looks like they were from Father Gregory (not financial!).

Calendar

August:

  • Tuesday, the 7th: Business Meeting at 7pm at UT Agricultural Campus in Room 260
  • Wednesday, the 8th: Fighter Practice at 6pm at West Side Family YMCA
  • Sunday, the 12th: Joint Practice from 9am – 5pm at FOB Johnston
  • Wednesday, the 15th: Fighter Practice at 6pm at West Side Family YMCA
  • Sunday, the 19th: Fighter Practice at 1pm at West Hill Park/John Bynon Park
  • Wednesday, the 22nd: Fighter Practice at 6pm at West Side Family YMCA
  • Sunday, the 26th: Fighter Practice at 1pm at West Hill Park/John Bynon Park; Archery Practice at 1:30pm (Andersonville location)
  • Wednesday, the 29th: Fighter Practice at 6pm at West Side Family YMCA

September:

  • Sunday, the 2nd: Fighter Practice at 1pm at West Hill Park/John Bynon Park
  • Tuesday, the 4th: Business Meeting at 7pm at UT Agricultural Campus in Room 260
  • Wednesday, the 5th: Fighter Practice at 6pm at West Side Family YMCA
  • Sunday, the 9th: Fighter Practice at 1pm at West Hill Park/John Bynon Park; Archery Practice at 1:30pm (White Pine location)
  • Wednesday, the 12th: Fighter Practice at 6pm at West Side Family YMCA
  • Sunday, the 16th: Fighter Practice at 1pm at West Hill Park/John Bynon Park
  • Wednesday, the 19th: Fighter Practice at 6pm at West Side Family YMCA
  • Friday, the 21st, through Sunday, the 23rd: Tournament of the Foxes
  • Wednesday, the 26th: Fighter Practice at 6pm at West Side Family YMCA
  • Friday, the 28th, through Sunday, the 30th: Meridian Grand Tournament

July 2018 Business Meeting Notes

B&B – We were successful at Giant’s Dance. We can in first overall, and we had a good showing. Lady Muirenn won the archery shoot, I believe. Weylan put on a good heraldic showing. Gellis surprised us with a sudden change of entry. She documented period block printing. We gave out the first Friend of Thor awards to Edain and Wu. Those that did not come missed a good party. Everybody was happy. It is SO not a dry site.

Senechal – Miklos is your brand new shiny seneschal. Reminder that his new email is seneschal@thorsmountain.org. If you try to reach me by phone, leave a message, and I will call you back. I get about 10 spam calls a day so I don’t answer it if I don’t recognize it. I will get you all added in with time.

Officers need deputies. Volunteer!

Reeve – Bank account has $18,856.51. However, due to four outstanding checks, we actually have $18,753.39.

We need to vote on the signatories for the bank account. These are the people on the financial committee. These are the people that can vote on money spending if we aren’t able to get a biz meet together. New people that we need to vote on are Richard, Kelly, Danielle, and some other people that I missed. Osric motioned. Liz seconded. Motion passed.

Trailer bureaucratic non-sense – We need to get the new title set up for the barony. Murienn went to the clerk to do this. They said that they need for us to buy a registration/tag for it. Wants to reach out to people that own trailers of that size to see if that is actually required. Fergus stated that it isn’t necessary as long as we don’t take it out of the state. Do we want to do this? It doesn’t expire. Discussion ensued. Cost is $113.75 for the tag/registration. No cost associated with the title itself. Liz motioned that we do so. Caelan seconded. Motion passed. We will get that taken care of. Hopefully by the next business meeting.

Senechal – Backing up for a moment. We received a very nice thank you card from their Majesties.

Consul – We don’t have anything showing up on the calendar. Spoke with Castelana about being my dropdead deputy, and she agreed. Yay!

Chatellaine – I don’t have a whole lot. Or really anything.

Gold Key – Same.

MOC – No report.

Knight Marhsall – Practices have been hit or miss mostly due to weather. We need to be checking the heat index. We are using weather.gov and any Knox county zip code to make this determination. July has five Sundays. When there are five Sundays, the fifth Sunday includes combat archery. There will be a combined equestrian/rapier/armor/archery practice in the next few months.

Live Weapons – We are rotating between the three available archery sites. This coming Sunday’s practice is in White Pine. If anyone is wanting a ride from the greater Knoxville area, I will probably have two seats in my car. Please let me know. The next one is on the 22nd at the Andersonville location. This is the day after RUM. The hosts will be available that day. Those are the ones that we have scheduled right now.

Baron – All baronies have been challenged to recruit a new combat archer. Anyone interested in becoming a combat archer before Gulf Wars is encouraged to see him.

A&S – I have a couple of things on my report. The A&S report is going around. Please fill it out. You can fill it out online here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfJC7ljXNVcC04b_GHIr5pJ9du1DMls3Mh3XEosXtyBvJGrYg/viewform?usp=sf_link

We are coming up on submitting our second quarterly report. These reports are to tell Kingdom and the society that we are doing what we need to in order to maintain our non-profit status. PLEASE fill that out. I need to submit that report by July 15th. You have until then to complete that report.

Secondly, I am looking for a replacement deputy to replace me in the next year or so, approximately. If you are interested in being the A&S officer, please let me know.

Thirdly, we are slowing down on the RUM prep classes this month. We are going to be hosting one class per night. They are not on the calendar currently, but they will be. If you are interested in teaching a class, let me know.

Starting in August, we are going to slow down to two A&S classes a month.

Dance – No report.

Provost – All of these wonderful classes and A&S stuff that you are doing are awesome! We log them on a Google Doc and share them so that you can work towards a RUM degree. Hopefully, we will be able to get some of you your degrees at RUM. If you have any questions, Liz would be happy to talk to you!

Herald – Herald report should be in your inbox in the next couple of days. I have put together the most complete award compilation that I am aware of. Please check to make sure that your information is correct. If something needs to be corrected, please let me know.

Baron – We suffered a tragedy with the death of Father Gregory, and we lost records that only he had access to. Please check the Farspeaker list and the online list, and please let us know if something is missing.

The award rolls that are currently on the baronial website are, for the most part, accurate. If you are wanting to know if someone has an award, please check the online award roll. The Farspeaker list doesn’t necessarily have all of the awards on there. I am working with Emilee, the webminister, to update it as necessary.

Castelana and Etheria both got their devices passed. If you have name and device stuff that you would like to register, please let me know. I am happy to work with you as I can.

I am looking for a dropdead deputy.

Bagatelle – I handle regalia. If you are missing a scroll or shiny for an award, please let me know. I am not going to mention it again as I have mentioned it many times before. If you are interested in making award regalia, please submit a bid so that we can vote on it.

Parchment – No report.

Chronicler – No real report. Hopefully I will have a report for next month.

I have the Farspeaker pulled up on my computer. Jerusha has requested that everyone please check their information before they leave so that we can ensure that it is correct.

Social Media – Nothing to report.

Webminister – All of the new email addresses are live except for the Librarian and one other. If you would like to update your office information, please let the webminister know. Anything that you would like to have on the calendar, please send an email. If you have any expertise in assisting in moving the website, please let Emilee know.

Other – Pastimes will be back. First Thursday of September.

Senechal – I would like to say a tremendous thank you to Lady Gellis for all of her service as senechal.

Events –

Silver Hammer – It is coming together okay. All major positions are filled. We are missing a couple of things. We would like someone that would be willing to handle fighter support. Jayne had mentioned that the newcomer’s location could do that. Castelana volunteered. (Yay!).

We really need a pottycrat. Gellis said that she usually does it.

We are looking at raising the price by $1 to cover expenses. As long as we have 100 people on site, even if they are just daytrippers, everything should be covered.

Holly & Ivy – We have a date. I need checks to reserve said checks. Date is December 29th. Christmas for New Year’s. It is going to be a fun event. If anyone wants to each classes, that is an option. Santa Jeff should be there. Rorik and Naz are going to be doing feast. Traditional English Christmas feast. Lost of curry! Kidding.

Very laid back. If anyone wants to teach classes, etc., we can talk. AFTER PENSIC.

Black Gryphon – Still in the works. Theme is going to be Japanese. If you have any classes that you would like to teach, great! If you would have any Japaneses themed classes, even better! Date is the 16th. (Which is Miklos’s birthday!)

Other Event/Date Issues –

We need to start thinking about curia. The only date available for this building is Saturday, the 5th of January. Date seemed fine. Asking Lacey to see about reserving room.

Silver Hammer of 2020 will be on Halloween. Discussion about possibly moving event due to Halloween festivities. Communicating to see about what date War of the Wings will be on was suggested. Suggestions were thrown out to have trick-or-treating at the event; to make candy and have a contest judged by the children.

Any other business?

Baroness – We will not be at the next biz meet.

Eleanor – For those that haven’t heard, there was a couple that had an accident on the way to Giant’s Dance. The car was totalled. They were banged and bruised, but they are okay.

I have the last of the gryphon gonfalons for those that bought them/want them. See me after the meeting. Also, I have the baronial ones that need to be stored.

Back in April, we put forth the concept of making t-shirts with the same design. Price was approximately $15. How many people would be interested in having one? Just asking for interest, not money right now. Suggestion was put out to post it on Facebook to gauge interest there.

Olehan – Archery and class event coming up on August 4th. They will need marshalls as well as people to come shoot.

Anything else?

Calendar! You can view the calendar here: http://thorsmountain.org/calendar.php

June 2018 Meeting Minutes

Gellis – Crown and Kingdom Senechal are moving forward and taking steps on enforcing the bullying policy

B & B – Received a letter from kingdom to know what actions to take in regards to the bullying instances.

We put out a bid for thrones. Bid was out for about three weeks. Sent to approximately 14 different artisans and on the woodworkers group. Received three bids. One was twice our budget. One was Oh My God! Duke Thomas also put out a bid. His bid was in a Viking design with three mountains for roughly half of our budget.

Bid specifications: Thrones must pack down and be stable. Minimum of 1 inch shorter than Meridian thrones and at least two inches taller than those of South Downs *Laughter abounds*. 24 inch minimum width. No plywood. All hardwood. Design was up to artisans with some various facts about the barony. Delivery date of 4pm Eastern time on October 27th. Delivery time is a little tight for this amount of handwork. Mock ups were passed around. Specific number once materials are sorted, but should be well under budget.

Muirenn motion to approve. Ronan seconded. Approved.

What to do with the old throne? Put it to the barony. No space in trailer. Suggestions?  Guilleme suggests gifting it to Goldeline. Ronan also seconds that. We are going to put it to the populace for other options and revisit at next business meeting.

It has been brought to my attention that there was a lawsuit brought up with the NFL due to repeated head injuries. 96% of players autopsied have signs of CTE. Guys who quit playing after high school still show signs. Science is very new on CTE. Not much study on it. Concerned about how hard we hit each other with sticks. Evaluating helm padding. I am upgrading mine as ½ inch is not enough. Recommend everyone check their helm padding and consider upgrading.

Guillueme questions if we need to sit down and figure out a standard. Osric states that this issue has been discussed on a society level for three years now. Differences in padding, helms, hitting distance, etc. Football helmets do not have the same considerations that our helms have. Differences in activity levels between football vs. SCA. In kingdom of Meridies, you must take your helm off and show your padding to the marshall in charge. Several knights, etc. could not fight when this was first instated. Padding needs to be changed regularly depending on type of padding. You have to check your padding. You have to check your armor. Discussion of HEMA’s armor requirements. Tristram states that if you aren’t responsible for your own gear, you cannot expect the marshal to be responsible for your gear. Blue foam is compressible. Needs to be changed in 6 months. Lacey can get you horse hair.

 

Catherine: Thank you’s from investiture. Thank you to everyone. Thank you to Carol for the royal luncheon. Thank you for everyone who made sure I was hydrated.

Moretum – AKA “That Garlic Stuff” or “That Green Stuff”

We were recently asked to provide the recipe for the Moretum that was served at Black Gryphon’s feast this year. Which made me remember (several months late) that several people had asked for that recipe. Moretum is a Roman recipe and was even mentioned by the poet Virgil (see his poem here.) So, here is the recipe we used…this will make a spread for approximately eight people.

Moretum

My Version:

1/4 c. minced garlic

1/4 tsp. salt

1/2 bundle of cilantro

1/2 tbs celery leaves

1/2 tbs flat parsley

1 tb white wine vinegar

1 tb olive oil

1/4 lb Romano cheese

  1. Grind garlic with salt in blender or food processor.
  2. When pureed, add greens and olive oil and grind.
  3. When pureed, add remaining ingredients.
  4. Taste and add more salt only if needed.
  5. Form into a ball and chill overnight.

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑